Take Control of the Change
It may feel that menopause has taken control of your life, but there are a number of diet & lifestyle changes that you can make to take control back. Some are easier to do than others, but no matter what you do, seek support. All around you, woman are dealing or have already dealt with the signs and symptoms of menopause.
Diet Changes :
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods.
- Eat soy foods. Soy contains estrogen.
- Get plenty of calcium and vitamin D in food or supplements.
Exercise & Relaxation :
- Get plenty of exercise.
- Do Kegel exercises every day. They strengthen the muscles of your vagina and pelvis.
- Practice slow, deep breathing whenever a hot flash starts to come on. Try taking six breaths a minute.
- Try yoga, tai chi, or meditation.
Other Tips :
- Dress lightly and in layers.
- Keep having sex.
- See an acupuncture specialist.
Can menopause be prevented?
Menopause is a natural and expected part of a woman’s life that does not need to be prevented. Post-menopausal women are, however, at a significantly higher risk of developing some serious health conditions, such as osteoporosis and heart disease. To help reduce your risk of developing longer term problems, consider taking the following steps:
– Control your blood pressure, cholesterol, and other risk factors for heart disease.
– Do NOT smoke. Cigarette use can cause early menopause.
– Eat a low-fat diet.
– Get regular exercise. Resistance exercises help strengthen your bones and improve your balance.
– If you show early signs of bone loss or have a strong family history of osteoporosis, talk to your doctor about medications that can help stop further weakening.
– Take calcium and vitamin D.